Callicoon Stone House is a minimal home located in Callicoon, New York, designed by General Assembly. The homeowners had been vacationing in the area for years before finding and falling in love with the 4.5 acre property. The original Stone House was built in 1780 and was updated with a second structure in 1877. The addition and multiple renovations left the house with layers of finishes and a memory of how the home accommodated people’s needs through time.
The sensitive approach recognized that the designers are one piece in the building’s long life. While there was a drastic reorganization of the interior spaces, they took care to respect the building’s thick stone structure. All windows were updated in their existing openings and two existing window openings were repurposed to become doors to the exterior, framing the homeowners’ favorite views of the property.
The interior was reorganized to maximize usable space within the existing envelope. The stairway was relocated to optimize head height on the second floor and create the large open living space on the ground floor while the original stone structure was turned into the master suite. Throughout the home, the work contrasts with the existing structure. The new elements sit within the stone shell and there is a clear line between what was already there and what the architects added.
The original exposed stone, plaster and beams contrast with the new clean walls and lighting, the remnants of the cut joists in the new stair opening add to the palimpsest. Throughout its life, the stone house has reflected people’s ideas of comfort and what a home is. While the renovation modernized the home to meet today’s standards, the rehabilitation gives this historic house the ability to continue to adapt to the current and future owners needs.
Photography by Matthew Williams
View more works by General Assembly